So here I am, updating you on the last, almost month of my life here in Marseille…
I really hate that it has been so long. I have been traveling a lot and trying to be a part of this magnificent city, in this magnificent country!
Weekly recap / important things:
- I haven’t posted since Thanksgiving-ish! What is wrong with me? Well I will go ahead and point out that I don’t have access to wordpress while at work. I used to update during my downtime at work but now I have to do it from home. The problem with this is I am usually exhausted by the time I reach home. Sorry faithful readers!
- I finally met the illustrious Allie (http://evinalexandria.wordpress.com/)! We only got to hang out for 3 short weeks but in this time we made some great memories including but not limited to: enjoying a ton of wine then eating a fab dinner at vieux port, on a Wednesday…a weekend in Paris where we learned why the French don’t care for the british so much. This encounter with 6 british fellows led to a fun evening including a club on the champs elysees and a 5am cab ride home. Next, we lug our, um, luggage around Montmartre for some art and crepes (well boef bourguignon for Allie) and then successfully make our train back to Marseille. We stayed in an interesting hostel-esque place in the 11th of Paris, which was fine except for a somewhat hazy memory of some dudes knocking on the door at like 4am. Again Allie, this might have been a dream. I introduced her and others to the AMAZING game of Dutch Blitz (try it, you won’t regret the decision). We ate some rad spaghetti, made by Allie, while simultaneously feeling too bored to watch Tinker tailor soldier spy…we chose funny kitty youtube videos instead… I hate that she had to leave so soon! We had such a nice time together and would have owned this city sooner or later. I do hope she’ll return soon!
- So yes, my birthday was 11 December 2012. I am now 26. Meh. 26 seems so much older than 25. I lose many young person discounts here in France and now apparently I am a Madame and not Mademoiselle. Poop. However, I did have a nice Bouillabaisse dinner with Allie (see above) and buy myself a great gift (Chanel Chance!) and receive a few super nice cards from friends (Hayley and Eric!). Apparently I await a gift from parents…I just don’t know about this French post system right now.
- I am slowly meeting many people in my lab. People more my age who want to have a drink after work and whatnot. This isn’t always the case but when it is I try to make it a point to show up. This has led to some interesting situations for me…one time, we stayed out until 2. Night busses were done so I took a taxi. This was a smart choice. However, I hate taking taxis! It is expensive and I don’t mind walking. Not super safe though. The very next night we stayed out until 230a. This time I had just enough wine to think that it would be wise to go home by foot. For a while I walked. Then, in my infinite wisdom, thought it would be smarter to run. It’s faster…right? So off I went in my ballet flats, purse in tow. I kept telling myself: of course people would go for a run at 2:30am in this outfit. No body will think this is weird…now however, I am sure that people were just wondering who was chasing me. I must have looked so funny.
- I went to Grenoble the weekend after I went to Paris. I have a slight travel bug right now. I am pretty sure it won’t go away for a while. My friend lives there and he just got a new kitty cat, his first. She is so precious! I love her. Realize though that I have allergies. I don’t care. I can deal as long as she lets me cuddle her, which she did. I also got to see his precious niece. I love this little girl! And now she is walking! And she says a few words (maman and papa perfectly and something that sound like merci ! super cute!) I also gave out my presents to his brother and sister in law. I love giving presents.
- Speaking of presents. Thank goodness for the invention of online shopping. I was able to do all of my Christmas shopping from right here in France and ship it all home. WOO AmazonPrime! I also bought a lot of stuff from Etsy.com. I love that site! My awesome roomies bought my bday gifts from there! I think it is a great way to be creative about your gifts and buy handmade stuff without having to be talented yourself. (great for me because I am not at all an artist.)
Yesterday I went to paris for a total of 11 hours. I took the train at 6h10 and returned to Marseille at 23h38. I went to visit IRCAM and discuss a corpus of clarinets, ancient ones with only 5 keys all the way up to the modern French and german systems. It was really cool to get to play all of the different instruments and note the difficulties in each. I am so glad I am in the position to have these opportunities! Then I had a few hours to shop .H&M, again. I saw 4 in the span of about 10 blocks. How could I not go J Also, as sacrilegious as it might sound, I couldn’t help myself, I had to try the macarons at, wait for it, McDo. I know, right. I was curious. And they were cheap. So I did. And they weren’t bad. (says the ashamed macaroner) . Then back to Marseille on TGV…in 1st class. It was nice.
My Christmas plans, though a little sad, include traveling to Grenoble to spend time with that kitten again while my friend travels to see his mom. Yeah, I will be alone, but it’s okay I have decided to fill my day with cooking and baking and skyping and watching Christmas movies. I am way excited for this since my friend has a full size oven and kitchen for my use!! So.Many.Cookies!
Past that, no plans. I am mostly ready for a legit break. I need the new year as a motivator but like always the last days before the break are super hard! FOCUS!
And now some pictures to accompany my post. xoxo to you all!