What a year it has been. I had a dream this time last year, France was calling me. I was antsy and wanted something more. I was searching so hard to find something that would allow me that opportunity to travel and to grow. Having just begun learning the language and having spent just 8 great days in Paris I had no idea how I could make it happen. I am so lucky that I received the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship and that the great researchers at CNRS – LMA Marseille have agreed to work with me. I am so thankful to my friends and family for supporting me while I am away. It is not an easy thing, being away from what is normal, comforting during the holidays but I have good friends to cheer me up when I need it. For them I am also thankful.
Besides that, I have finished my Masters of Science in Acoustics! Most of 2012 was filled with work/school, I took the PhD candidacy exam in January and in June (finally passing!) then commenced writing my thesis. November 1st I embarked on my grand French adventure and here I sit, reflecting on the BIG things I have done. There’s been some heartbreak recently, of which I am still recovering but I know that the future is bright for me. I think I will do big things in 2013.
- 2013 : Marseille is the European Cultural Capital all year! Lost of awesome stuff happening in my French city this year! What a great time to be here!
- March – My older sis Ashle and my roomie Hayley will grace me with their presence for a week of awesomeness here in France, perhaps a bit in Spain and Italy as well.
- May 25 = my return to the United States for my little sister’s high school graduation (WHAT?!? I remember, vividly, holding her when she was a baby!!)
- June – Acoustical Society of America conference in Montreal, Canada
- July – PhD comprehensive exam and PhD proposal presentation
- September – I will return to Marseille
- November – I return to the States November 27 until January 2(ish) for the Holidays and the ASA conference in SAN FRANCISCO!!
Obviously there will be more but those are the biggies. While I am quite homesick as I type this I know that I am incredibly lucky with the successes I have had and continue to have. I look forward to 2013!
Happy New Year my friends! I hope this year brings you and yours health, happiness, love and magnificent adventures.